• Home
  • Resources
  • External Activity Request

External Activity Request

Aerial Campus View in Fall

The Policy on Commitment of Time and Conflict of Interest is being revised, and will include new guidance on what external activities require prior approval, and which do not. During this revision process, please used the guidance provided here.

Faculty and staff must seek prior University approval for external professional activities so appropriate supervisors and offices can review the request to ensure that conflicts of time and conflict of time commitment are properly managed, and that activities with outside entities do not violate the University’s policy on transactions with restricted parties. Approval is required throughout the year for all faculty and staff, including faculty on less than fiscal year (12-month) appointments.

What "external activities" require using this process?

External professional activities that require prior University approval are activities in which the external entity has a professional, commercial, or financial interest in seeking the expertise and services of a faculty or staff member.

Examples of activities for which this prior approval is required may include: consulting for a company, private entity, or individual; providing expert testimony; and acting as an investigator on sponsored projects that are managed through another organization.

NOTE: Regular instructional service or any agreement to provide professional services to other educational institutions is prohibited without express prior approval.

* Faculty and staff are individually responsible for following all grant, contract, or funding restrictions placed on such activities, including any restrictions on public dissemination. 

I engage in quite a bit of "external activity" as a regular part of my position. Do I have to report all of this?

It is understood that certain external professional activities are done in the course of carrying out expected university duties, and for these outside activities, university prior approval is not required. For faculty, such activities should be reported in the annual faculty evaluation process.

Examples of activities for which prior approval is not required include:

  • Service to the discipline/profession: peer review of scholarly, artistic or creative works; external program reviews; grant proposal review; editorial board work for scholarly outlets; serving as an officer of a scholarly/professional organization; service or scholarly presentations/seminars at disciplinary/professional society meetings, educational institutions, U.S., state, or local government agencies or not-for-profit organizations.
  • Research/scholarship/creative activity: scholarly presentations; artistic/creative performances, presentations, masterclasses, or exhibitions of artistic or creative work.

* Faculty and staff are individually responsible for following all grant, contract, or funding restrictions placed on such activities, including any restrictions on public dissemination. 

Frequently Asked Questions


External Activity Forms for Faculty and Unclassified Academic Staff

New Online Process 

(Began April 27 for the following areas: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences;  Schools of Business, Engineering, Journalism, Pharmacy, Social Welfare; KU Office of Research; and KU Edwards Campus School of Professional Studies.)

(Effective July 20 for the following areas: Schools of Architecture and Design, Education, Law, Music, and KU Libraries)

Please contact facultydev@ku.edu if you need assistance.


Previous PDF Process - not available after July 19

Please contact facultydev@ku.edu if you need assistance.


External Activity Forms for Unclassified Professional Staff

New Online Process


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today