One Hundred and Thirty Years of Supporting Faculty Scholarly Leave
The first documented sabbaticals in the country were awarded at Harvard University in 1880. KU has been awarding sabbaticals since 1887!
Faculty members interested in applying for sabbatical leave should consult the guidelines and policies concerning sabbatical leaves and attend the Open Meeting on Sabbatical Leaves, May 8, 2017, from 4:30-6:00 in the Centennial Room of the Kansas Union. It is recommended you attend the open meeting if you are planning to apply for sabbatical leave.
Here is the handout for the open meeting.
Sabbatical Leave Deadlines:
Below are important dates for the sabbatical leave process.
- Applications for sabbatical leave should reach the Office of the Provost no later than Wednesday, November 1, 2017, at 5 p.m., for sabbatical leaves during the 2018-2019 academic year. The individual schools, college, or divisions will establish specific earlier dates for submitting applications to allow for peer review, evaluation and endorsement before the November 1 deadline.
- Any eligible faculty or academic staff member may submit an application for a sabbatical leave without the endorsement of the departmental chairperson, dean or director. Such applications must reach the Office of the Provost by Friday, September 1, 2017, at 5 p.m., and will be referred to the appropriate department/unit and/or school for comment. They will be treated in the same manner as other sabbatical leave applications. Completed applications may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications received after the published deadlines or incomplete applications will not be accepted for review.
- Sabbatical Leave Request Form (including instructions)
Department/Center, Schools without departments, and Libraries Evaluation Form:
- Initial Level Endorsement and Evaluation Form (including instructions)
- Online submission form for applications from schools, units and the Office of Research only (not from individual applicants)
Schools with departments, College, and Office of Research Evaluation Form:
- Intermediate Level Endorsement and Evaluation (including instructions)
- Online submission form for schools, units, and the Office of Research only (not from individual applicants)
2017-2018 University Committee on Sabbatical Leaves
|Tamara Baker||Professor, Psychology||2020|
|Yvonnes Chen||Associate Professor, Journalism||2020|
|Alex Diener||Associate Professor, Geography and Atmospheric Science||2020|
|John Kennedy||Associate Professor, Political Science||2018|
|Laura Mielke||Associate Professor, English||2018|
|Jennifer Ng||Associate Professor, Educational Leadership & Policy Studies||2018|
|Katherine Rhine||Associate Professor, Anthropology||2019|
|Teruna Siahaan||Professor, Pharmaceutical Chemistry||2019|
|Kevin Willmott||Professor, Film & Media Studies||2019|