Big XII Faculty Fellowship Program
The University of Kansas is participating in a program to stimulate scholarly initiatives through the creation of an academic community within the institutions in the Big XII Athletic Conference. The Big XII Faculty Fellowship Program offers faculty the opportunity to travel to member institutions to exchange ideas and research. Faculty may work on collaborative research, consult with faculty and students, offer a series of lectures or symposia, acquire new skills, or take advantage of a unique archive or laboratory facility.
The Big XII schools include: Baylor University, Waco, Texas; Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa; Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas; University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma; Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma; University of Texas at Austin, Texas; Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas; Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas; and West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia.
The Big XII award applications are now being accepted for the academic year 2018-2019.
Applications are due to the Provost's office by July 1, 2018
- During each academic year, six fellowships will be available to KU faculty.
- All tenured and tenure-track faculty on the Lawrence Campus are eligible to apply.
- The faculty member may visit any of the Big XII universities.
- The University of Kansas will continue the faculty member’s salary during the period away from campus assuming they are already on salary at the time of the visit; otherwise, salary will not be covered.
- The University will provide reasonable travel, lodging, and meal expenses attendant to the visit up to a maximum of $2,500.
- NOTE: Reimbursement for lodging and per diem expenses must follow state travel policies and procedures.
- Supplies, equipment, or other expenses unrelated to travel will not be reimbursed.
- Visits will ordinarily be for two weeks, but longer visits are possible.
- Faculty members are responsible for arranging coverage of their duties during their absence from campus.
- The Fellowship cannot be combined with a sabbatical leave, external fellowship, or other leaves.
- After the visit, the faculty fellow will submit a brief report to the Provost describing the outcomes of the visit and offering suggestions for future planning.
Application Procedures for 2018-2019 Academic Year Fellowships
The application must include:
- Completed application form identifying the host university and unit, dates of the visit, faculty sponsor(s) at the host university, and required signatures. This form is available here.
- A current curriculum vitae
- One page description including the following information:
- Purpose and activities of the visit
- Expected outcomes
- Description of how the visit will complement your current or proposed area of teaching or research
- The benefit of the visit to your department/school
- Statement of support from the department chair and dean indicating:
- How the faculty member’s responsibilities will be covered
- The prospective benefits of the experience for both the faculty member and the unit
- A letter of invitation from the Big XII host institution department or school. The letter should indicate their willingness to host the visit and projected benefits to their program or unit.
- A detailed budget (transportation, meals, and lodging).
- Note: Budgets must follow state travel regulations.
Incomplete applications will not be evaluated. Should six fellowships not be given out in response to this call for applications, additional applications may be considered until September 15, 2018.
When projects are of equal merit, preference will be given to:
- Faculty members who have not had sabbaticals or other internally-sponsored leaves in the past three years
- Projects that take advantage of timely opportunities
- Projects that possess a strong potential for promoting inter-institutional collaborations
Opportunities for Faculty Visits from Other Big XII Universities
We encourage you to consider inviting Big XII colleagues to visit the University of Kansas if their visit would enrich the experiences of our faculty and students. This program offers a unique opportunity for collaboration and interaction. When plans have been confirmed, please notify the Office of Faculty Development (firstname.lastname@example.org) of the individual’s name, home institution, and department, the dates of the visit and the purpose. Host departments are responsible for advising the visiting Fellow concerning temporary housing and for making arrangements concerning office space, telephones, clerical help, parking, and use of the library or specialized research facilities.
Individuals from other institutions must apply for participation through their home institutions. Expenses are to be covered by the home institution.